You are here

Residence and Contact Disputes

Taking care of children

Every family is different.  There is currently no set formula for arrangements relating to the care of children following parents’ separation.

One of the key decisions that must be made is where the children will live and how much time they will spend in the care of each parent.

If parents are unable to agree, it is possible to seek the court’s help.

It is possible to apply to the Court for what is called a “Child Arrangements Order” and this order has two purposes. It may define with whom a child will live and when the child is to live with any person. A Child Arrangements Order may also name the person with whom a child is to spend time and when a child is to spend time with that person or otherwise have contact.  These orders until recently used to be called “residence” and “contact” orders. More historically orders defining with whom a child is to live were called “custody orders”, and are still called custody orders in other jurisdictions and orders formally defining how often and how long a child sees a person were previously referred to as “access orders”.

When determining an application for a Child Arrangements Order the court‘s paramount consideration is the child’s welfare.

Our specialist team has enormous experience in advising parents with a vast range of child issues including disputes concerning with whom a child is to live and how often they are to spend time or otherwise have contact with a person.


Meet the team

Our specialists are knowledgeable, friendly and experts in their own individual fields.




Please send us a message with your query. Alternatively, request a call back, if you would like us to call you. We will be in touch within 24 hours.



The Best Interests of the Child in the Cultural Setting

How should the test of the best interests of the child be seen in the context of active support for the child’s cultural heritage and upbringing? What happens if there is any conflict? How much should best interests outcomes be diminished or diluted to encourage cultural connections? 

iGuide: Child Maintenance

Many parents are able to agree child maintenance, or where necessary have to involve the Child Support Agency. Our iGuide explains more about child support arrangements.

iGuide: Inherent Jurisdiction

The Court’s inherent jurisdiction in relation to children and Wardship are powerful tools in the field of international Child Law. Find out more in this iGuide.

The Family Law Show: Programme 4 - Children Disputes and Issues

Lucy Loizou and Carolynn Usher offer information and practical guidance for parents where there are disputes that concern their children following the breakdown of a relationship

iGuide: Resolution by Out of Court Settlements

There are many different ways to resolve cases without the need to go to court. Here is our iGuide in relation to out of court settlements.

Attending Court – what you need to know

Advice and information on what to expect when you attend at court.