You are here

Enforcement of Foreign Financial Orders

Can I enforce my English final financial order abroad?

First, the English family court has power to make an order in respect of assets abroad including real properties abroad.­

Enforcement depends on the order and where it is going to be enforced.­ Many international enforcement arrangements distinguish between maintenance and other financial obligations.­ Maintenance is interpreted widely, beyond pure alimony, spousal maintenance provision.­ It is interpreted often as “needs”.­ However it does not cover division of assets based on fairness sharing rather than providing for needs.­ Enforcing such fairness-sharing division of property arrangements against foreign assets can be more difficult.

There is some international co-operation with many reciprocal arrangements on recovery of maintenance obligations.­ Some reciprocal arrangements are rather historic, outmoded and only occasionally exercised.­ In contrast there are reciprocal arrangements across Europe (the EU Maintenance Regulation) although only for maintenance (needs).­ Between some countries, it is possible to pursue claims quickly in the country in which the payer is working.­ Between some other countries, there can be a relatively complicated procedure involving the government organisations of the two countries.­ Good legal advice needs to be taken, including in advance of the final settlement if possible.­ It is important to be conscious of the costs of the exercise in relation to the likely recovery.­ There is a very good Government Department, known as REMO, which gives assistance on reciprocal enforcement abroad.

Many countries cooperate on orders regarding the transfer of real property.­ In practice, this is made much easier if, in advance of the final financial order, any dealings with the real property have been prevented or frozen.

Within Europe, cross-border laws have made it relatively easier directly to enforce consent lump sum orders in the country in which relevant assets are situated.

Although the English Child Support Agency (now C-MEC) rarely deals with international families, there is co-operation between such agencies in other countries.

Whilst there is increasing international co-operation on enforcement, there is still no substitute for freezing assets in advance and/or seeking orders against onshore assets.­ Planning implementation and any enforcement before the final settlement is very wise.

I have been divorced in the European Union.­ Will England recognise it?

A divorce granted in accordance with the law of another member state of the European Union will almost always be automatically recognised.­ A certificate of divorce in the EU, properly translated and certified, is good across the whole of the EU.


Meet the team

Our specialists are knowledgeable, friendly and experts in their own individual fields.




Please send us a message with your query. Alternatively, request a call back, if you would like us to call you. We will be in touch within 24 hours.




Visit our Information Hub and discover a wide range of resources relating to international family law.