Taking a child to live abroad

It is now increasingly common for one parent to want to take their child to live abroad with them, either at the time of separation or later on. This can cause great tension within families.

A parent needs the permission of the other parent, all persons with Parental Responsibility or the court to take a child to live abroad. This type of court application is known as a ‘relocation application’ or an ‘application for leave to remove’.

As with child abduction, steps can be taken in advance to reduce the likelihood of a successful relocation application.

Similarly, the prospects of successfully obtaining permission to relocate a child are significantly increased by careful planning and preparation.

We can and routinely do act for either party in such cases.